Monday, September 12, 2005

Stoopid freaking Shitty Rail, grrrr, arghh!

Please excuse this rant about Sydney's incompetent public transport system.

I worked a night shift last night, 9:30pm - 7:30am. All I can say about it is at least it was quiet. By the time I left the hospital and got to the train station to head home, I had been up for just short of 24 hours. All I wanted was to go home and tuck myself into bed and have a good morning's sleep.

I bought my ticket and walked down to the platform to catch the train and as I did so I checked the indicator board to make sure that the next train stopped at my stop, which it did. Then the station master made an announcement about where the train would be stopping, and again he mentioned my station. I was so happy! I only had to wait 3.5 mins (and 22 nanoseconds) for the train that would speedily convey me to within 2 minutes walk of my cosy bed! Yay!

Anywho... the train pulls in and I check the indicator board for any last minute changes (none) and I jump on board. The train station for the hospital where I was working is 4 stops from my station. We got through the first two stops ok and stopped and picked up and dropped of people. Then as we were entering the station before mine I noticed that the train wasn't slowing down! The train driver had changed the stopping pattern after I got on the train and they hadn't told anyone!!! The train went whooshing past my station as I looked forlornly out the window muttering 4 letter words under my breath. GRRRRRR!

I ended up 2 stops past my station (at least it wasn't 10 stops as it could have been), having to try and get on a train heading back my way in peak hour. Add into the mix the fact that I drank 4 bottles of water over the course of my night shift and was now busting to do a wee, and I wasn't a happy girl. By the time I got home I was ready to cry and throw a massive tantrum.

So I did.

Then I went to bed.

Someone really needs to fix our public transport system!!! It totally sucks dogs balls!!! Rather than getting more competent staff and improving what they had, they released a new timetable a week ago that meant fewer trains taking longer to get people where they need to go! It's times like this that I wouldn't mind living in Japan (except that I'd be a huge white woman in a culture of rather petite people... but that's a story for another time!)!!!

6 Comments:

At 4:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yack! That would be awfully frustrating!

Hope you had a great weekend!

 
At 5:10 pm, Blogger utenzi said...

Sorry to hear how bad that commute is for you, Yaeli. Mine is a lot easier. 14 miles in my truck which takes less than 20 minutes, then a 10 minute bus ride onto campus

Just patiently waiting to see your hair now that it's getting some curl back. :-D

 
At 12:10 am, Blogger . said...

That's really aggravating! One of the things I hate about buses is you have to know just where your stop is and you have to pull the little cord to make the bus stop. You kind of take for granted on a subway or train that's going to stop at the stops and you don't have to worry about stuff like that!

 
At 3:38 pm, Blogger pal said...

My train travel nightmare is falling asleep and missing my stop that way - to watch your stop flash by must be awful!

I'm from the UK when we visited Sydney some years ago now we were really impressed with the cold seats on the train.

I guess you haven't had time to follow the cricket but its been great, really great. We are coming over to watch the next series in summer 06/07

 
At 5:34 pm, Blogger CT said...

that sucks, sorry...

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger -E said...

I hate that. I've been traveling places where that's happened to me before. We don't really have public transportation where I live- none that is any good anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home