Sunday, October 09, 2005

Home in one piece!!!

I made it home in one piece!!! Although I am a little sore and sorry for myself.

The weekend was great. We camped on a property in the Megalong Valley and the view was similar to the photo below.
When I got there yesterday morning (at 7:45am) everyone was already up and doing stretches in preparation for going on a hike. That was the last time that I could acurately say what time it was because the confiscated my watch, wallet, keys and cigarettes. Apparently we weren't supposed to know what time it was.

Anywho, I arrived just in time to do a 12km hike through the bush with my 15kg pack on. There's nothing like being thrown in the deep end!!! As a result of this I'm feeling a bit sore and sorry for myself today. My quads and calves hurt from the hiking, and my hips and shoulders hurt from taking the weight of my pack.

After a rather dodgy dinner of vegetable curry with crunchy chickpeas and undercooked, burnt rice, cooked on a camping stove in a huge pot, we all gathered around a camp fire and yawned away until it seemed appropriate to go to bed.

It got icy cold overnight and it rained and blew a gale down the valley, but thanks to my schmick sleeping mat and my borrowed down sleeping I was snuggly warm in the tent I was sharing with 3 other girls.

This morning we were woken at about 6 and we were sent to find a guy who had gone "missing" (i.e. the leaders had organised for him to go and lie in a ditch at dawn and pretend he was hurt). So off I went running through paddocks with my new found mates, trying to find our "injured" team mate. We finally found him lying down near the creek and we saved his life and completed the task.

The best part of the whole weekend was meeting four other people who will be coming to Vanuatu with me. 3 guys and 1 other girl. Funnily enough I'm not the only nurse in the group. One of the guys is a second year student nurse from Armidale. It should be a very interesting trip. :o)

Dena and several other people have been asking for more info about my trip and it's purpose, so I'll try to put up a "briefing post" sometime this week.

I can't believe it's only 8 weeks til I go!!! CRAZY!!!!!!

11 Comments:

At 12:15 am, Blogger Karen said...

Greetings from Wisconsin where it's Sunday morning and we're not being nearly as ambitious as you apparently were. Sleep well!

Michele sent me...

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger utenzi said...

Congratulations, Yaeli. A few years ago I'd not have thought that 7 miles with a 30 pound pack was very difficult but these days it might make me sore too. I feel for you, sweetie. I hope you recover from your hiking soon, Yaeli.

 
At 12:53 pm, Blogger dena said...

Welcome back, and I'll be looking for that update. The weekend sounds hard, but rewarding.

 
At 12:54 pm, Blogger Olyal said...

Feeling a little less sore this morning. But have found several bruises from walking into sticks and trees. And my nose is sunburnt. But I am still feeling very proud of myself for getting through it without dying!!!! :o)

 
At 1:04 pm, Blogger kenju said...

You're going to Vanuatu? Did you see the Survivor show that was filmed there? That's great, Yaeli!

Michele sent me.

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger carmilevy said...

What an impressive trip...I wish I could find the time to do the same these days. Maybe someday soon.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I almost feel as if we were there.

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Kim said...

How cool! But I don't understand why you couldn't know what time it was. Wierd.

 
At 1:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture. And Michele said hi.

 
At 3:33 pm, Blogger kenju said...

Michele sent me back, Yaeli, and you better go to work now or you'll be late!

 
At 6:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Survivor episode :)

You smoke? Holy! I never would have guessed! Mind you, here in BC practically no one that I know smokes. ...Actually, come to think of it, no one close to me smokes and hasn't in years.

I'm glad you got home in one piece!

 
At 3:37 am, Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Wow. Sounds like a tough, yet rewarding trip. The view in the picture was great. Hopefully you recover well and continue to prepare. Cool post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home