Thursday, January 06, 2005

I look at young people today and I think...

We are doomed.

I caught the bus to Manly yesterday. Please remind me not to go to Manly in peak beach weather, during school holidays, on public transport. The bus was packed, mainly with 15 year old private school kids from a private girls school near me (I shan't mention the name of the school but suffice to say the girls there don't have glowing reputations). One of them continuously sang Avril Lavigne songs all the way to Manly (a 40 minute bus ride for those of you who don't know), while another carried on about how, if she got her nose pierced, she would need to remove one earring from her left ear to avoid throwing out the balance of her face.

A third girl delivered a generous diatribe to her friends (and the rest of the bus) about how her horrible parents got a new extension built on the house (which probably didn't need it) and had bought a flat (which she will beg to live in when she finishes school) and therefore could not afford to take her out of one of Sydney's top private all girls schools in order to send her to a co-ed private school. For that they were deemed to be "dreadful parents", all because their daughter is not satisfied slutting around outside of school hours and would like to double her slut rating by slutting around during school hours at a new school!

All of these girls were wearing skirts that were ridiculously short. The crotch of my jeans hung lower than their skirts. Designers and shops must take some responsibility to provide some distinction between skirts and belts.

As I sat on the bus and looked at this group of girls, these girls who one day may be community leaders, I couldn't help but think "We're fucked".

On another note, I went to go see Dirty Dancing last night with Wombat! Most of you know that I am a complete sucker for anything and everything Top Gun. But I must also admit that Dirty Dancing rocks my world. When I injured myself and had to take 2 months off work I watched the movie almost obsessively. At one point I watched it 3 times in 2 days! It is another one of those movies which is so bad that it is fantastic! And the stage show was great too! There were bits in there that weren't in the movie (extra bits, not script changes) but the rest of the script was the same and I thouroughly enjoyed myself sitting there reciting the lines off by heart! The dancing was fantastic (and dirty) and the guy who played Johnny looked fantastic without his shirt on. I could most certainly have the time of my life with him! :o)
If you love dancing and kitsch it is most definitely a must see... especially the bit where Johnny comes back to get Baby.

Anywho... I'm off.

"I carried a watermelon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home