Sunday, February 04, 2007

Vanuatu...

Unfortunately as I have not yet received confirmation of my big news the big announcement can't yet be made (much to Dave's annoyance I'm sure). As soon as it's 100% official (now it's only 90%) I promise I'll let you all in on the big secret!

Instead this post is dedicated to Vanuatu and I will share a few photos with you from the last 5 weeks!

For those of you who haven't "met" my gorgeous fiance, this is Ben. And before anyone asks the baby isn't ours... She was "borrowed" from the lady who owns the rent house where we live in Port Vila. Our little home is one room with a partition in the middle to separate our bedroom in the back half from our living / kitchen area in the front. We don't yet have electricity and town water hasn't reached our place yet so we get our water from a well in the yard. We have a little room separate from the house where we shower (or "swim" as we call it) and a little outdoor dunny nextdoor to that.

A couple of days after I arrived in Port Vila we managed to find a boat to take us out to Ambrym island so we packed up our things and jumped aboard the Dinh 1 for a journey that was a comedy of errors and was far too long. It took us 48 hours to get to North Ambrym and the highlights of the journey included engine failure that caused us to make nearly the whole journey on 1 engine, a mishap with the compass which took us about 7 hours in the wrong direction, and getting shipwrecked on the coast of Malekula island which meant we had to wait 8 hours for the tide to lift us off the rocks!

As you may have guessed from the photos, the Dinh 1 is a cargo ship that takes passengers but doesn't have appropriate passenger accommodation. The photo above is Ben lying on our "boat bed", a pandanus mat on the floor between the life jacket cabinet and a bench. Not the most comfortable of places to sleep but one makes do with what one has.

The final photo for today is my beautiful man on the boat as we are approaching Ambrym.

I will post more photos tomorrow and throughout the week so don't forget to keep checking back.

9 Comments:

At 2:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michele sent me. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "wow... australia. They're warm there!" and then as I read, I thought "OK, so how does she blog if she doesn't have any electricty?"

smile

 
At 2:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to have such an exotic/exciting life. Enjoy!

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger Lidia said...

Awww...you make me miss Vanuatu! I'm guessing Ben is from Ambrym? So have you permanently moved to Vila? Lucky duck. I want to be you :) Have fun!
-Amy

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger Begered said...

What a different life you have, at least from mine. Sounds very exciting! I will be back to read more about your interesting adventures and to find ou what your big secret is!

Michele sent me...

 
At 6:07 pm, Blogger utenzi said...

Oh man, Yaeli, you two are roughing it at the Island. Those are spartan accommodations! But as long as Ben is there you're doing fine. I like that last picture of him on your post, Yaeli. It looks quite adventurous.

BTW, you are on my blogroll. You just have to know where to look. :-)

 
At 11:22 pm, Blogger srp said...

Hello Michele sent me.
Poor Dave, he is beside himself. I take it he doesn't like secrets. Well your cryptic remark about 90% sure suggests news about either a job or a baby in the future.... either would be a blessing!

BTW, how do you blog on an island with no electricity? Creative bloggers find a way I'm sure. Good luck.

 
At 2:56 am, Blogger Panthergirl said...

Oooh I was hoping the secret was out!! Ben is gorgeous and your life looks amazing... ah, the rest of us can dream, can't we?

 
At 5:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back here today from Micheles,
Wow, it looks beautiful there, & warm too, is it warm all year long? How lovely for you to be there! I hope it's as wonderful as it looks (roughing it isn't so bad, once you get used to it!)

 
At 11:25 am, Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike air max, nike roshe run, sac longchamp, ralph lauren pas cher, burberry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, jordan shoes, michael kors, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike free

 

Post a Comment

<< Home